Skip to main content

Christmas Movies

 Merry Christmas, mammajammas.  Once again, I haven't been keeping up with writing...or any sort of self-enrichment beyond the grind of working my ass off in our home "gym" to maintain this mediocre bod.  If you must know, I haven't spoken to you in awhile because I have been quite busy drinking and watching Netflix homeschooling.

I like to call it, homey-schooling, because our little School for Gifted Youngsters is far more ghetto than all of the beautiful, keepin'-it-tight-full-time-blogging-and-homeschooling-seven-children hos on the internet would have you believe their lives really are.  You know who they are; their hair still looks great and they're always on time and you hate them even though you KNOW they frontin'.  They think that "lol" is a word and, even though you're far more intelligent than they are, they are still making quadruple your family's income despite the combined myriad of degrees you share with your spouse.

Stay in school, kids???

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend I have time for you, so don't get comfortable.  I just wanted to hit y'all up with my list of Christmas movies for the season.  Rest assured that ZERO of them are Hallmark movies...unless you happen to have a handle of something that'll put hair on your chest.  (In which case, let's hang.)

Anouchka's Favorite Christmas Movies 

For Your Optional, Annual, and Seasonal Viewing Pleasure


🎄 Elf  (I can't help it, but this is my all-time favorite Christmas movie.  It just is.)
🎄 Miracle on 34th Street  (I prefer the 1994 version.)
🎄 White Christmas (I loooooove the dancing.  Vera Ellen clearly needs a sandwich -or 40- but man!  That girl's got moves.)
🎄 Christmas In Connecticut  (I have never seen, nor do I care to see, any version other than the original from 1945.)
🎄The Santa Clause (Just the first one -- skip the sequels!!!!)
🎄 Joyeux Noël  (This film is a collaboration between French, German, and British production companies.  It tells the story of the temporary cease-fire on Christmas between enemy troops during WWI.  It is a beautiful movie, but do keep a box of tissues on hand -- extraordinary, but very emotional.)
🎄The Star (This one is so adorable with the kids.  Plus, it is the only movie on this list that incorporates the original celebration of this holiday.)
🎄 Christmas Vacation (This one is almost mandatory because I grew up in America in the 80s and 90s.  However, I can ALWAYS do without the cat scene.  That bothers me to this day because I NEVER find animal suffering humorous.)
🎄 The Grinch (I honestly prefer the 2018 version.  The original 1966 version under the known title How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a classic, but the 2018 version was just...cute.  Plus, scrappy little Cindy-Lou Who reminds me of my Jammy.  I was never terribly fond of the 2000 remake with Jim Carrey; he annoys me in his "funny" roles.  I really prefer him as a more serious actor, oddly enough.  Read on for more on that...)

NERD ALERT!!!!!!!  
I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens.  I've never read (or seen) a work by him that I did not enjoy.  That being said, here are several Anouchka-approved versions of his popular Christmas classic A Christmas Carol, along with a couple of other movies that pay homage to this beloved story:

🎄 A Christmas Carol (The 1984 TV movie with George C. Scott is a loyal telling of the original Dickens work.  For a serious version, this one is my favorite.)
🎄 The Muppet Christmas Carol (God help me, but if you combine Charles Dickens with Michael Caine and the most talented performing arts group on earth, you are destined to create a cinematic masterpiece of epic proportions.  If you ask me, Michael Caine was snubbed at the Oscars that season.  HOW WAS HE ABLE TO PLAY SUCH A STRAIGHT ROLE OPPOSITE KERMIT THE FROG?!?!?!?!  WHY IS NO ONE ELSE ASKING THIS QUESTION?????????  I would have collapsed in giggles every time I had to share the screen with 98% of my castmates.  I have spoken.)
🎄 A Christmas Carol (OK, so I know I was a little hard on Jim Carrey earlier, but the 2009 animated version of this story -starring him in multiple roles- was actually quite good.  I haven't watched it in years, but I might give it a spin this year.)
🎄 Scrooged (Bill Murray in all of his 1980s splendor leaves little to be desired in this "modern" re-telling from 1988.)
🎄 The Man Who Invented Christmas (A semi-fictionalized story behind the story, this 2017 film explores the personal life and times of Charles Dickens when he created what are arguably some of his best known characters.  While many of the events of this story are fictional -you'll know them when you see them- it still seems to capture the whimsy and playful spirit of one of the English language's most prolific writers.)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, friends.  

May this season of light bring you joy, peace, and hope for a bitchin' 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

I Am So A Hipster: The Hipster's Way of Letting You Know That He/She Is Not, In Fact, A Hipster

I just got home from having a great coffee date with a great friend. For those of you who know me personally, you will recall that I am somewhat awkward socially.  A few weeks back, my friend and I decided we wanted to meet for coffee at a local chocolaterie .  (We both lived/studied in France and anything with a European flair makes us nostalgic.)  Now, this may be news to her if she is reading this post, but my first awkward moment was when she walked in the door.   Do I get up and give her a hug since I haven't seen her in nearly two years?   (A normally functioning person would have done so.)   Do I give her a high five?   ( Not  what higher thinkers typically do.)   What????   (Yes, these are the things that plague my brilliant mind.)  Fortunately, she was graceful enough to have seemingly overlooked my stiff greeting and we were able to begin reminiscing. After a wonderful and uplifting chat about France, running, gossiping about mutual acquaintances and joking about my i