Skip to main content

Guest Post: B Knows Disney (Part Two)

Behold, nerds!  Here is the follow-up -Part Two- of my sister's informative guest post, B Knows Disney.  Enjoy!

PART TWO
(For Part One, click here.)

7. If you’re considering having a Character Dining experience with small children, plan it at least two days into the trip.

This is one I hadn’t even really considered, and learned by experience, kind of the hard way. While I’ll fully admit to being awkward and creeped out around characters, doing a Character Breakfast is totally part of the Disney experience, and with Jammy and Ribbers, I was so so so excited about seeing them interact with the REAL princesses at our breakfast on Day 2 of the trip at Akershus, the banquet hall at the Norway pavilion at Epcot. We’d be greeted by Belle, then be visited during our meal by a few different princesses (in our case it wound up being Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, and Snow White).

What I hadn’t anticipated: Jammy did NOT warm up to the “face” characters very well. (Nothing wrong with that -- I’m way more awkward around characters whose faces I can see and interact with than I am with characters wearing furry masks who can’t roll their eyes at me.) She was really cautious our first day in the parks, when we met Belle, and the next day at breakfast, it took until the last princess came to our table for her to actually say real sentences (and when she did, it was a super-random announcement of “MY CAT SCRATCHED ME” where, typically, a “Hello” would go). Of course Ribbers, little charmer that he is, was flirting to high heaven with the ladies -- so it really does depend on the kid and their comfort level.

I had planned one more breakfast, the day we left, where we would meet Ariel (again) and Prince Eric, as well as Rapunzel and Flynn. But in addition to the logistics of that turning out to be a little tough, it seemed unwise to roll the dice on another “face” character meeting. Instead, we wound up swapping that breakfast for a lunch the day before, at the Crystal Palace, where we met a few characters from Winnie the Pooh. Whether it was just because she had become accustomed to things better by that point, or because they were furry and different, Jammy was much more open and comfortable with the Pooh crew. (Ribbers, on the other hand, was NOT excited about it AT ALL -- maybe because they’re giant animals and not girls he can flirt with, but he cried and squirmed away when they came in for a hug, and gave a tentative high-five when we held his hand up for Pooh to slap it.)

In hindsight, what I’d recommend is this: Reserve a character meal, but not on your first or second day in the parks. Here’s why: You can cancel dining reservations, without penalty, up to 24 hours in advance. By delaying your meal, you can give yourself a chance to introduce your little ones to characters at a (free) character meeting spot on your first day, see how they do, and cancel the reservation if they panic when Aurora holds out her arms for a hug or Mickey reaches for a high five. You could also take it up to Expert Mode and reserve three meals at the same time -- one with “face” characters, one with masked characters, and one with no characters -- and cancel the one(s) they aren’t as comfortable with. That way, you’re not wasting extra money for a character meal if your little one doesn’t do characters -- but you’re also finding out what characters they might be most comfortable with (while still giving yourself a backup plan).

Anouchka adds: I was super excited to meet Belle, but she was waaaay more interested in giving my kids hugs and swag than paying attention to me.  Yet another way that kids steal our thunder.

I keep finding these Nicolas Cage princess GIFs and I cannot. stop. laughing.

8. Stay on property.

There’s a level of resort for every budget -- Value resorts can run about the same as a typical Best Western, while the Grand Floridian can rival the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton in both cost and amenities. But here are four extra reasons why staying on property is a must:

  1. Your airport transfers are included in the resort price. Disney’s Magical Express will pick you up at the airport (and for flights arriving before 10 p.m., they’ll even collect your bags for you and bring them to your room!), and take you there after your trip is complete (after you check in for your flight at your resort, including checking your bags). And it costs you 0 extra dollars. For a family of four, that could easily add another $80-$100 in round-trip airport transfers.
  2. Disney offers Extra Magic Hours for resort guests. This is an extra hour or two at one park (the rotation changes every day), either before the park opens or after it closes, for resort guests only. Depending on when and where it is, that can mean getting on an extra couple rides with a little sparser crowd.
  3. Park transportation is LIGHTYEARS better than staying off-property. Disney buses come about every 20 minutes -- and even the best off-property resorts only offer shuttles about every hour, meaning if you miss one, you’re either taking an Uber or Lyft to the park, or waiting another hour for the next bus. Additionally, for the Magic Kingdom, Disney buses will drop you off right at the park, while off-property shuttles may only use the Ticket and Transportation Center, meaning you have another Monorail or Ferry ride to get to the park. At Disney, time is money -- so don’t waste it waiting for infrequent shuttles or on a Ferry boat with 1500 people (literally how many they cram onto a boat).
  4. It’s part of the magic. When you’re at a Disney property, you’re completely immersed in the magic of the park. The Cast (the Disney term for "employees") is trained for the best customer service in the world, and the theming is spot on. Is a cold continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn (or even a fancy pool at the Gaylord Palms) worth not spending your entire trip surrounded by the magic Disney weaves? Pack a few protein bars, understand that Disney pools are pretty great too, and STAY ON PROPERTY.

9. Avoid holidays.

It can be tempting to think that Christmas or Easter at Disney would be magical. Maybe it is -- but no less than 100,000 people thought the same thing this past Christmas, and for the first time in years, the Magic Kingdom had to TURN PEOPLE AWAY because the park was at capacity. There is no point in visiting the park when you literally cannot walk through it. While you’re at it, avoid Easter and Thanksgiving too. They don’t draw full-capacity crowds like Christmas, but it can be awfully close. (I was in Epcot on Thanksgiving and Animal Kingdom on Black Friday, and both were pretty darn packed.)



Instead, shoot for “value” times for minimum crowds in the parks -- late August and September, mid-January through February, or, best of all, April AFTER Spring Break and Easter. You’ll have far less people to navigate, since they don’t line up with school breaks (yes, you’ll have to take your kid out of school for a week...it’s worth it, I promise). And generally the resorts will be a little less expensive, especially since that’s when the most discounts are offered.

Bonus tip: Aim for times when there are festivals happening at Epcot. The spring brings the Flower and Garden Festival, with the Food and Wine festival starting in late August through October, followed by the International Festival of the Holidays and the International Festival of the Arts rounding out the year’s cycle in January. There will be much more to see and do, especially in the World Showcase -- and best of all, each country features pop-up kitchens with taster portions of themed foods, so you can easily taste your way around the world (complete with a little passport sticker book to mark your progress). It’s so much fun, and if you can make it work to go during one of those, it’s well worth it.

Anouchka adds:  The pop-up kitchens and the "taste around the world" during the Flower and Garden Festival was one of my two favorite parts of this entire trip.  Seriously.  The food and the atmosphere were dynamite and, as an adult, Disney is tons of fun when you can sip on a delicious cocktail whilst pushing a stroller.  I'm just sayin...

10. Be smart with your food plan.

A big portion of your budget will be eaten up, so to speak, by food. It is certainly not cheap to eat at Disney! But there are a few ways you can save yourself a boatload of money.


  1. Pack food. It’s super easy to bring things for breakfast like cereal (Coffee Maker Oatmeal is one of my specialties -- a packet of oatmeal + hot water from the coffee maker = easy breakfast), bagels, protein bars or powdered shakes, and peanut butter. You can also bring your own snacks [popcorn, fruit snacks, pretzels, dark chocolate] and take them into the park with you. There is no need to eat every meal at a restaurant!
    Anouchka adds:  Plus, if you aren't all hungry at the same time, you don't need to stand in a long line every time one or two members of your party are hungry.  You can eat and walk at the same time if you pack your own snacks.  Win-win.

    You can avoid this if you just bring your own snacks.

  2. Supplement your packed food with a grocery store delivery. Every resort room has a mini fridge, and if you reserve a stroller from Kingdom Strollers, you get a coupon for a free grocery delivery (otherwise it’s like $14 -- still cheaper than buying everything in the parks!). It won’t be grocery store cheap, but it’s an easy way to get some fresh items too, like milk, applesauce, carrots, grapes, etc. to bring into the park.
  3. Bring a water bottle -- preferably a personal Brita bottle. Drinks can add up at Disney! But there are water fountains everywhere, so you can easily save yourself $3-$4 a pop and bring a water bottle to refill for free. Unfortunately, Disney World sits in the middle of a swamp, and often the water tastes like it. A personal Brita water bottle (purchased for about $12 at Walmart) can help diminish that a little. Otherwise you can bring water flavor packets like Crystal Light or Mio to help mask it.
  4. Consider the Dining Plan -- but only strategically. Disney offers dining plans for both Quick Service (counter meals, like Panera style) and Table Service (actual sit-down meals). If your family eats a lot and doesn’t drink water (often an appetizer or dessert, entree, and drink are included), this could be a way to save money. But actually sit down to figure up what you’ll realistically eat. If your kids are really little, or you don’t really snack a whole lot, it’s unlikely they’ll eat everything included in the plan. Figure $15 per person for Quick Service, $30 per person for Table Service, and $50 per person for Character Meals, as well as $6 per person for snacks (all of these could be higher or lower, but these are reasonable averages). For our family, we wound up saving upwards of $300 by NOT doing the dining plan, and I don’t think we ever went hungry or felt like we missed out on anything...but our story isn’t every story, so take the time to figure out if it’s worth it for you. 
    Anouchka adds:  Eating is literally my most favorite thing in the entire world.  With B's strategic tips and a little planning ahead, I never felt hungry when food wasn't easily -and affordably- available.
    Me, at every corner
These are just 10 tips -- and as I write this, it’s filled up eight pages in my Word document. There’s SO much more I could say, too! But let me first say this: no matter how much work it is, and it is a LOT, it is so so so so so so so worth every minute for the magic you’ll experience. Believe me in that. There are tons of sites with great advice, touring plans, restaurant reviews, and more, and part of the fun -- at least for me -- was planning it.

However, I know not everyone is like that -- and fortunately, there’s an answer. You can bring in a pro to do it. Ready for a shameless plug? That person can be me.

After my sister asked me to write this, I connected with MickeyTravels, a platinum-level Disney Travel agency certified by Disney World. One thing led to another, and ultimately I’ve actually joined the agency as a Disney Travel Planner. What that means: I’m actually now certified to plan and book trips for customers, and it costs them literally nothing. My services are free (I get paid by Disney instead). So I can help choose the best hotel, make dining reservations (or just plans...you don’t need a reservation everywhere), come up with FastPass selections and touring plans, suggest packing lists, the whole nine -- and it’s free. If you’re NOT the planning type, at least with that level of detail, I’m happy to step in and help get it all booked and planned for you (or even if you do want to do it yourself but want to bounce some ideas off me -- I’m happy to help with that too). You can connect with me through my MickeyTravels page here -- it’s got all my information, so we can get started there.

Last thing: if you go on a Disney vacation, there will be a letdown afterward. I promise. It’s weird. So the two things I’ve found to help combat that: YouTube and wax melts. There is TONS of music from the parks on YouTube, so I created a station of 8 hours of park music that lets me feel just a little of the magic, even in a background way, while I work. I also found a few shops that have Disney-themed wax melts that I use in my house now -- so my bedroom smells like a Disney resort, and my living room smells like the Confectionery or Main Street Bakery or the adorable Christmas shop. It’s a bizarre phenomenon, but know that it will happen, and those two things can help bring some magic back home.

I hope this helps, but again, as always, if you do find yourself thinking you’ll take a Disney vacation any time, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Whether it’s just for tips or a full planning experience, it’s my pleasure to help out. A Disney World trip isn’t something most people just do spontaneously (...unless you’re my husband and me), there’s a ton of planning involved, but I like to think these 10 tips will help make that planning a little easier. Most of all, ENJOY the process -- it’s all part of the magic, and will be part of your Happily Ever After.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an