Skip to main content

An interpretation/self-evaluation of the "Proverbs woman"

Mother's Day is tomorrow and, as it is my first official turn to celebrate the holiday (Alice and Betty forget every year...), I am reflecting on my life as a mom.

Many of us have heard of the "Proverbs woman" from the Bible (Proverbs 31), but few of us know how to apply the skills described in this chapter to our daily lives.  Let's face it:  the modern woman does not spin her own thread.

So, in honor of the upcoming holiday, I thought I might provide my own interpretation/self-evaluation of what it means to be the "Proverbs woman" (New Life Translation):

A Wife of Noble Character
Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?  Habibi did.  She is worth more than precious rubies.  Yup.  Her husband can trust her, true and she will greatly enrich his life.  I hope so.  She will not hinder him but help him all her life.  I do my best!

She finds wool and flax and busily spins it.  Huh.  I thought flax was a kind of cereal used for keeping you regular.  You can make clothes out of it???  She is like a merchant's ship; she brings her food from afar.  It's true that all of the good grocery stores are across town.  She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household Does making milk for Hulk count?  If so, I do that in my sleep.  and plan the day's work for her servant girls.  Servant girls...HA!!!  Betty and Alice don't even turn off the light when they leave the room.  She goes out to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard.  I live in a city, but I have an herb pot on my back patio...

She is energetic and strong, a hard worker.  Actually, I do think this one is true.  She watches for bargains; I'm Arabic, so this comes naturally to me.  her lights burn late into the night.  We are constantly replacing light bulbs, so this must be true.  Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.  Again?  Wonder if this can apply to something else.  I feel like I spend at least one day a week chopping up vegetables.  Does that count?

She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy.  Sometimes...should do this more.

She has no fear of winter for her household because all of them have warm ("scarlet") clothes.  We do have warm clothes, but I still hate winter except for at Christmastime.  She quilts her own bedspreads.  I did make a blanket once.  She dresses like royalty in gowns of finest cloth.  My wedding dress doesn't currently fit postpartum, but I have a decent wardrobe.

Her husband is well known, for he sits in the council meeting with the other civic leaders.  Habibi is not on City Council or anything, but he has plenty of friends on Facebook.

She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants.  OK, if my love for the Lord is based on my ability to be crafty, count me among the damned.  There is definitely weeping and gnashing of teeth any time I sit in front of a sewing machine.  Fortunately, I'm pretty sure Jesus isn't too concerned with my ability to re-purpose wood pallets or my (non-existent) Etsy store.

She is clothed with strength and dignity,  Nailed it.  and she laughs with no fear of the future.  Not so true...must work on this.  When she speaks, her words are wise, Not so much...  and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions.  As somewhat of a Negative Nancy, I really have to work at this one.  She carefully watches all that goes on in her household and does not have to bear the consequences of laziness.  That's actually pretty accurate.

Her children stand and bless her.  Well, Hulk can't stand or talk right now, but I think she likes me.  Her husband praises her:  "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!"  Although he hasn't said this verbatim, Habibi says other nice things to me.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; So true, on both counts.  but a woman who fears the lord will be greatly praised.  Reward her for all she has done.  Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.

It seems that I have a lot of work to do, outside of my inability to work efficiently with textiles.  However, I can confidently state my goals as a wife, mom, and woman:

  • Love, support, and provide for my family; teach them to love others
  • Work hard, be thorough, use my brain, and do everything as though I am doing it for the Lord - Trust Him by letting Him take care of the rest.
  • Don't obsess over outward appearances.
  • Be strong and firm, but exude kindness - Be the type of person that you wouldn't want to cross, but show grace and mercy to those who do.
Fortunately, I don't think I need to start a craft blog to be considered a "Proverbs woman."

Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an