Skip to main content

Reflections

It doesn't take a super sleuth to notice that I post frequently (read:  too much) about my fitness and self-image woes as well as my love affair with junk food.  (I ate an embarrassing amount of cookies and peanuts today.  I don't want to talk about it.)  I am well aware of the fact that this makes me seem self-involved, but I have come to find this expression therapeutic.  Remember -I say this with love- you can always stop reading.  #xoxo *

Lately, however, it has occurred to me that my self-image is far more important than I ever realized.  In the coming years, the way I see and judge myself doesn't fall only on my own (obviously shredded) shoulders, but on those of my darling Hulk as well.  As she is beginning to notice her own reflection in the mirror (one of the cutest effing things on the planet), is has given me a reason to re-evaluate the way that I see my own reflection.  I may not like every little thing I see, but I damn well better learn to respect it.  My daughter will learn to respond to her own image the way I respond to mine.

Wow.  That's loaded.

It saddens me when I see little girls harping on themselves for things that they are far too young to worry about:  perfect hair, bigger boobs, smaller waists, straighter teeth, tighter butts...  Somewhere along the line, we created an ideal image and, if we don't fit that unattainable prototype, we are ugly and must therefore live ugly lives.  What a shame.

All of this is easy to recognize in other people, but what happens when I apply this rule to myself?  Sure, it's sad when other people are judgmental of themselves when they look in the mirror, but that's because they don't have the problems that I have.  Right?

WRONG!  Pardon the cliche, but practicing what I preach here seems impossible.  Generally speaking, I'm fine with my image but, just like any woman, I could come up with an entire list of things I would change about it...even more so postpartum.

It won't be the easiest thing in the world for me to learn to go easy on myself as I have always had extremely high standards for people, and for yours truly in particular.  It will take time and a Very. Concentrated. Effort for me to look in the mirror and not see wild hair sitting atop a big schnoz, uneven shoulders, an imperfect butt and mutant feet.  From time to time I do ask myself what I'm getting so worked up about anyway, since I'll be dead some day and none of this will matter.  Still, loathing breeds more loathing and, once I start fixating on one "flaw," I notice a hundred more.

Of course I want Hulk to learn to take care of herself and to have a healthy body, but she will never learn to do that by being such a hater as I am.  So, the next time I find myself eyeballing that slightly crooked tooth or wishing that my hips were narrower or my legs were firmer or...  I need to ask myself, Do I want my daughter to be so cruel to herself?

The answer is as clear as my reflection in the mirror:  No.

*I do not have a Twitter account because I am pre-historic when it comes to technology (you should see my phone), so my hashtags are always to be understood as ironic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an