Skip to main content

Due Dates

A week ago today, my yahbah (dad) finagled an additional ultrasound for me through one of the residents he works with at the university hospital where he is employed.  (Hee haw!  Shookran, Yahbah!)  Sometimes, it pays to be manipulative.

That's the hand at the top, giving a "thumbs up"
Later that day, I had another pre-natal appointment.  When I spoke with my doctor about the ultrasound, he informed me of the three estimated due dates that they had on record from the various clinical due date calculators they use in his office:  December 27, 30 and 31.  The ultrasound reading stated that Hulk's ETA would be December 30, though she won't technically be considered "late" until January 1.

Today is December 30.  Still no signs of drama.

These past two nights have been quite gruesome, to say the least.  Saturday night, I spent breathing through intense pelvic cramps between sips of apple juice to keep my mouth from over drying.  Sunday night (last night), I was up every 30-60 minutes or so, grinding my teeth through the sensation that someone was driving a flaming semi loaded with cement through my lower back.

After spending some time researching these two experiences, all I can say is that I'm no more informed than I was before.  Yes, I understand that both of these symptoms are signs of impending labor, but that can be in as little as a few hours away to as much as (God forbid) two weeks away!  The worst part about all this is that I am undergoing acute pain for zero results (no baby yet), while simultaneously getting geared up to go into labor already sleep-deprived.  Add to this the fact that I'm coming down with some sort of scratchy, phlegmy throat thing combined with a tickling that hurts in my abs every I cough or clear my throat.  Furthermore, Habibi has to go back to work on Thursday (he took his accumulated vacation for the year during the week of our due date), I'm supposed to go back on February 1 (impossible if Hulk ends up coming two weeks late!), and I'm running out of steam from lugging around these extra 30 pounds that are almost exclusively in my belly.  (Don't believe me?  I have the stretch marks to prove it.  Damn things are so dense that my stomach just looks severely bruised.)  At this point, I'm beyond caring about Hulk arriving before January 1 for the tax break; I just want her to come so that I can go on with my life.  I'm tired of feeling like the sleeping gorillas at the zoo with their oversized guts and drooping lower lips.


But it's all good.  Nothing a nice glass of red wine can't fix.  Oh wait, not that... 

Maybe a cup of herbal tea?  Hang on a minute.  Is that made with German chamomile, or Roman chamomile?  What part of the nettles are being used?  How is the dandelion cultivated?  Where does the ginger come from?  These things are important, you know.

No matter.  We'll just do a decaf green or black tea.  OK fine.  But if you decide you want a flavored one, make sure you know what's in the proprietary blend of "natural flavorings."  Or, if you want an Earl Grey, just know that oil of bergamot is not recommended.  Basically if you drink it, it means you hate your baby.

Hmmm.  Maybe some juice?  Do you really think that all that added sugar is a good idea right now, fatty?

FINE!  What if I eat some spicy foods?  That's supposed to help induce labor naturally, right?  Well, sort of.  It hasn't been proven.  It might just give you the squirts, and God help you (and the poor medical team) if you go into labor with diarrhea.  Just make sure you don't do any food trucks, or any of those authentic hole-in-the-wall joints that you typically love.  Also, if you do spicy Asian food, make sure there are no raw sprouts in it.  And if you want anything with fish, make sure you double check the FDA and/or the American Pregnancy Association's lists of unsafe seafood with high mercury levels.  Also, you should ask the server where they get their fish, so you can know that it's a reliable source and not one of those places that lies about the type of fish that they're serving.  You don't want any of that stuff they call "tilapia" that is actually some other breed of fish that has been swimming around in human feces all day.  And if you get Mexican food, remember that queso blanco, queso fresco and panelo are off limits, unless you want your baby to get listeria.  You don't want your baby to get listeria, do you?  Don't forget that spicy foods are often really salty, and you're already looking pretty bloated to me.  Remember the dead lady in the bathtub, Mrs. Massey in Room 217, from The Shining?  If that's the kind of bloated look you're going for, then go ahead.  Indulge.

OK then.  Maybe I'll do a nice soak in the tub.  Bright idea, genius.  With your belly?  Good luck getting OUT of that one...

Point taken.  Maybe I'll take a hot shower or give myself a facial.  Are you going for the Worst Mother of the Year award?  You do know about the dangers of beauty products causing developmental disabilities in babies, right?  Just make sure that none of your products have too much salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in them.  Or retinoids.  Or evening primrose.  Or borage seed oil.  Or...

Shut up, brain!  Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!!!  I'm just going to go snuggle with Alice and Betty on the couch.  Good idea.  I hope you haven't been the one cleaning the litter box during your pregnancy.  There are toxins in cat feces that can...

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Suffice it to say, I'm ready to have this baby.  Tomorrow would be fine.  Today would be great.  Yesterday would be better.

Can't wait to experience all the dos and don'ts that accompany breastfeeding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an