Skip to main content

The Kneed to Vent (HAHA! A pun!)

I want to rant and rave about my injury frustrations.  As the merry days of spring and extended sunlight brighten the northern hemisphere with cheer, I find myself wanting to bang my head against the wall until my body will cooperate with my mind.

I know.  Effective.

If you will recall one of my more recent posts about running, I had a few hypothetical diagnoses.  Turns out, I was right on the mark with Option #1:  Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS, a.k.a. "runner's knee").  Basically, this injury involves a knee cap ("patella") that doesn't track properly in the "patellofemoral groove," which is the space between the knobs ("condyles") on your thigh bone ("femur").  What happens as a result is a painful grinding of bone on bone (patella on condyle).  PFPS is a treatable injury but, as with all running-related injuries, it takes time.  And sometimes, that "time" is indefinite.

%#*^!#$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, in the meantime, I am "resting" and doing a few different exercises to strengthen various muscle groups around the knee cap.  The bottom line is this:  I don't get to run.  I need to train my muscles to hold my knee cap in place so it will glide the way it is supposed to.  Easier said than done.

As I mentioned, the weather is getting nicer outside and I'm beginning to resent it.  No, I am not a Hemingway-loving, sun-hating, broody, unshowered hipster.  (I was into not showering before it was cool...)  I am just depressed because I see all my fellow runners hitting the pavement and taking advantage of the beautiful weather, while I am stuck, sitting on my ass (doing leg lifts!) and wallowing in my own bitterness.

THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ME!!!!  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

In all seriousness, though, it is sort of like salt in the wound when I see people out jogging and enjoying the day.  I get spring fever just as much as the next person, so I find myself stewing at the fact that I can't even go for a walk without aggravating my knees.  Really, I went for a short stroll (about 10-15 minutes) a couple of weeks ago and spent FIVE DAYS recovering from it.

I hope it snows a hundred feet next week.

No I don't.

As I listen to myself complain day after day, I notice that most of my everyday contacts are also growing increasingly (yet understandably) tired of hearing me grumble.  But you, Internet, are obligated to listen (though you, as a reader, are not)!

Here is what my fantasy conversation would be:

Me:  Hey, Internet.

Internet:  Oh, hey Penelope [Cruz]!

Me:  (giggling) Oh, Internet!  You flatterer!  I don't look like Penelope!

Internet:  Well, according to Wikipedia you do.  But, if you ask me, I think you are much more talented, sexy, exotic, graceful, eleg--

Me:  Stop it, Internet!

Internet:  --ant, sophisticated, charm--

Me:  Internet, you're making me blush.

Internet:  --ing, and articulate.  Plus you have way better hair and a great caboose.

Me:  Ah shucks.  You're too kind.

Internet:  I'm not kind, just honest.  Remember, this is how I was programmed.

Me:  Well, I guess I can't argue with that.  Anyway, what was I going to ask you?  Oh yeah!  My knees hurt and I want to run but I can't until they're better.  Got any ideas?

Internet:  Of course!  Here is a website chock full of quick fixes and instant gratification that don't require any extra work on your part!  And, the best part is, you'll be faster than ever before...just like you had been training all winter!  Plus, your fitness level will not have deteriorated in the least during your 5+ month hiatus.

Me:  Thanks, Internet!  You're the best.

Internet:  Any time, Anouchka.  PS - You look super ripped.

THE END.

Wasn't that a great conversation?   

Now, here is how it really went down:

Me:  So, my knees are still bothering me.  I've been doing the exercises and the pain hasn't really gone away, but it has sort of just shifted to another part of my knee.

Doctor:  Have you been able to run at all?

Me:  Nope.  I went for a short walk the other day and spent five days getting over it.

Doctor:  Day-amn!  What are we at now?  Five months?

Me:  Yup.  Going on six.

Doctor:  (comes over and manipulates my knee)  You have more [some technical term to describe the bubble wrap-like crackling sensation in my knee] than most young people..........I think I'll refer you to a physical therapist.  There are some taping techniques that might work.

THE END.

Long story short (too late) the doctor is nice and knows his shit, but I didn't get my quick fix from him.  Or any flattery.

I know you're dying to know what happens next, so I'll keep you posted.  However, if I catch you running in my neighborhood, I'll take it as a personal rub-it-in-my-face insult and I will probably throw rocks at you.  I'm just sayin'.  Love and kisses!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an