Skip to main content

50 Shades of Grey

I found another grey hair today.

Upon this discovery, I immediately sent a text message be-riddled with desperation and profanity to one of my closest friends.  I couldn't stand keeping the fact that I had another impostor on my head to myself.  I knew she would understand because, in the past several months, I have noticed acute changes in my appearance that I can attribute only to aging; she has had the same experience.

This particular friend and I share a lot of physical traits from our weight to our shirt sizes to our Mediterranean noses.  We even have similar builds:  petite and rippling with badass-osity.  We're both runners and, dare I say it, we pronate ever so slightly on the same (left) foot.  Creepy, I know.

To make things even stranger, we both have the same complaints about aging.  Though we know we're still young, we are beginning to notice crow's feet around our eyes, make-up creases around the mouth (despite the fact that neither of us wear that much make-up), and -you guessed it- a slowly increasing number of grey/white hairs.

I found my first grey hair when I was seventeen.  It grew near the hairline above my forehead, almost straight above my nose, and it reminded me of one of the coarse, wiry hairs around my dog's butt.
Lacey, my childhood pooch.
Despite her adorable face, she had rather wiry butt hair.
 As a teenager, I knew it was just a fluke, so I simply yanked it out and didn't hear from it again for another couple of years.  When it did come back, I was still very young and, once again, treated it the same way.  Ever since then, it has made maybe an annual appearance, but it was the only one of its kind.

Earlier this year, however, that all changed.  Not only did ol' Dog Butt come back, but he brought a friend.  I found two Dog Butts!  Still, no need to panic...until I found a third while straightening my hair.  Now, the thing that upset me most about Number 3 was that it popped up towards the crown of my head, where I had never before found any greys. So, I yanked all three out and began to accept the fact that my time had come and the Reaper was calling my name.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an actor when I "grew up."  In my defense, I was decent at it, and even won a couple of awards for various roles I played....though I'm still waiting for my big break.  Anyway, one year for Christmas, my parents got me this CD set that taught you how to master a variety of accents and dialects:  French, Irish, Italian, you get the picture.  Each accent had a short monologue for you to listen to and practice.  I remember the British one had an old stalwart talking about aging:  "Ayyyy-ging!  I hate the veddy [for no good reason, the Brits involve the tip of their tongues in the letter "r"] thawwwt of it!"  On and on in went about this old guy who hated "happiness is being a grandparent" bumper stickers and complained about various body parts beginning to sag.

In any case, my point is this:  Everyone complains about aging, but most of that grief begins after 30.  What about those of us in our late (cringe!) twenties who are dealing with wrinkles, grey hairs, AND acne?  (Explain this to me, Science:  I never broke out in junior high or high school, but halfway through college, I started going through puberty.  Shouldn't that delay the aging process for a few more years?!?!?!?!)  Plus, we aren't lucky enough to have gone through menopause yet, so we still get our monthly visit.  Damn!  It's a lose-lose-lose-lose situation and I defy anyone who says otherwise.

Apparently mood swings and teenage petulance are still happening at my age, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an