Skip to main content

France 2012 - Paris (Part 1)

le 27 octobre

After a full day/night of travel, Habibi and I found ourselves deposited at one of the world's biggest cluster-holes:  Charles de Gaulle airport...


Once we de-boarded the plane, we were greeted with the typical hospitality of airport workers and government employees.  We made our way to a pay phone (only 50€ per minute!) and checked in at home before beginning the second longest leg of our day of travel by way of the Paris RER/Métro.

Fortunately, public transportation is France is to be commended, despite their confusing announcements about car closures due to rail work or the troubles one must undergo in order to ensure correct ticket purchase.  Although the trip from the airport to our hotel took longer than did our first flight of the journey (55 minutes to a nearby international airport), the RER/Métro functioned beautifully once we got our bearings.

Upon arriving at our luxurious (albeit somewhat pricey!) hotel in the 16e arrondissement (we bit the bullet for Day 1), we settled in and took a quick coma before carpeing the diem.  We decided that, although we'd love to get in a full day of sightseeing, it was more important to begin our trip well-rested and well-hydrated.  Once we woke up again (somewhat begrudgingly) we declared our first act of tourism:  a ride on one of Paris' delightfully charming Bateaux Mouches.



Top deck of the bateau
View of the city and another boat (different company?)
One great thing about these tours is their excellent introduction to the sights of Paris for new visitors.  What better way to get acquainted with all the gems of the city than by floating down the Seine?




But I'm getting ahead of myself.  As we exited our hotel to begin our oh-so-Parisian wanderings as two veritable flâneurs, I realized that everything around me in the Passy arrondissement (district) reminded me of La Belle Epoque in movies like Midnight in Paris or Moulin Rouge.

Passy, the 16e arrondissement 
(View from our hotel room)
Resisting the urge to order absinthe and bust my best can-can moves, I put on my big girl pants and settled for inwardly squealing with glee as a darling dog in a  coat strolled by.  I am completely bourgeoise.

Paris in the fall is magnificent.  The decreased number of tourists in the off-season is no small part of this, although it possesses its classic charm year-round.  After leaving the boat dock on the Seine, we rushed back to our hotel, stopping to grab a quick sandwich for lunch and a few croissants et pâtisseries for the next morning's breakfast.

Clockwise from left:  un croissant (above and beyond a crescent roll);
un pain au chocolat (a flaky dough wrapped around delectable chocolate);
un pain au raisin (a delightful pastry dotted with nature's candy:  raisins!)
Content to be "back home" and out of the cold, we settled in by our window with the scenic view of La Tour Eiffel peeking over the antique-looking rooftops.

See the needle of La Tour Eiffel?  This was from our hotel window!
 After a brief nap (the "coma" I mentioned before), we cleaned up and headed to a delightful dinner at the home of some very thoughtful friends.  Though Bernie and Rosemary are Americans, they spend about six months each year living in Paris.  One would guess that they were professional hosts after having had an exquisitely prepared multi-course meal (complete with champagne and the traditional French cheese course, sans doute!) in their inviting home.  Neither Habibi nor I could imagine a better welcome to Paris.

At the end of the evening, we sauntered back to our hotel, ready for a good night's sleep at the end of an eventful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an