Skip to main content

The Token Baby Post

Well, there's no escaping it.  The first generation of Facebookers is procreating and it's all the rage to post pictures of your baby.  Let's face facts:  If you haven't posted 9,000 pictures of your child on each of your social media accounts, you are a terrible parent.

However, this baby takeover has not come without backlash:  Childless patrons of Facebook, Twitter and the like have spoken out about how annoying it is to see their news feeds bogged down with images of Riheleiygh or Stevfphahn (or whatever weird spelling their friends have adopted for their children's otherwise normal names).  I just heard on the radio last week that there are downloadable computer programs out there that will substitute pictures of dogs and cats whenever a picture of your friend's baby pops up.  Kind of nasty...but hilarious.

Toddlers (and every move they make) are now dominating social media networks.  And why wouldn't they?  It's what people are talking about now in this current generation, isn't it?  It only makes sense that we would post what interests us.  And what good first-time parent isn't fascinated by his/her baby?  I'm sure I will be no different when my day comes.  But in the meantime, the childless Millennials are -somewhat justifiably- "so over this."  It's a difficult call, because how many of us married folks swore up and down that we would never become "smug marrieds" or "we" people?  I know I did, and yet here I (we) am (are)....  So, I suppose it's just a matter of time (9 months, to be exact) before the intentionally barren start posting baby pictures as well.

Habibi and I don't have kids.  I personally don't really mind all of the pictures I see of my friends' babies on Facebook (in some cases, that is the only way I see their kids!), but I can appreciate the backlash as well.  So, to bring both sides together for a common moment of awe and amazement, I am dedicating this post to my baby.

Just because our "child" isn't a bald biped doesn't mean I can't rave about her.

This is Betty.  Betty came to live with us in mid-January of this year.  She was born in 2006 when she was apparently brought to live at the local Humane Society as a kitten.  She was then fixed, microchipped and adopted.  Five years later, she was brought back to the Humane Society and her previous owners (assholes) never came to claim her.

Later that year, some friends of ours adopted her and brought her home to live with them and their two children.  Unfortunately, everyone had an allergic reaction to Betty, despite the fact that they had previously owned two cats (who had since gone to the Great Litter Box in the Sky).  They had no choice but to find someone to take Betty, or return her to the Humane Society - a traumatic experience for all who would be involved.

Luckily enough, Habibi and I were looking to adopt a cat at that precise time.  In the end, Betty moved in with us and she has been a joy in our lives ever since!

Since I'm on a roll already, I thought I would share a little bit about Betty with all of you.  Here are a few of her likes and dislikes:

Betty likes...

Clocks (I love Flav and I suspect she does too...)
Getting her ass swooped by Ummi or Dad
The sink
Laying on her back and showing off her lady parts
Hanging out in Dad's tool bag
The sink
Attacking, pouncing and biting (necessitating the glove)
Flirting
Scratching the carpet (hence the foil "rug")
Her toys (especially the ones she can bat under the stove)
Destroying Ummi's stuff (i.e. her buki brush)
Being lazy
Being a helper
(She is the WORST personal assistant ever.
She won't return calls, answer emails or run errands.
If she weren't so damn cute, I'd fire her.)
Did we mention the sink?

Much like her Ummi (me, if you haven't figured that out), Betty has a hard time making up her mind sometimes.  She truly understands the fine line that makes the distinction between love and hate.  (In other words, she usually loves us, but we don't call her Miss Hateful for no reason.)

Betty dislikes...

The vacuum cleaner, plastic bags, tissue paper...oh, and also, everything.
So there it is, my baby and all of her amazing talents, skills, preferences and pure awesomeness.  You can roll your eyes all you want, but before you start gagging, ask yourself this:  

Do you prefer pot or kettle?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an