Skip to main content

Christmas Carols

Here we are at the end of yet another year.  What have I accomplished?  Very little indeed!  Despite my best attempts at procrastination (I am physically incapable of putting things off until the last minute), I always find myself on circuit overload at this time of year.  Holiday preparations are underway; the semester is wrapping up (as if I didn't get enough schooling when I myself was in school, I now work at an institute of higher education); my workout routine is in transition from outdoor running to outdoor freezing; the list continues.  However, in spite of all the chaos that the post Thanksgiving season brings, it still is, in fact, "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Although my mom and I both rival Buddy the Elf in Christmas cheer, there are a few things that I do hate about the season.  I dearly love it when the local radio stations switch from their regular programming to old Bing Crosby hits and enthusiastic renditions of "Sleigh Ride," but there are a handful of Christmas carols that I positively loathe.  Today -because there were no Nutter Butter Cookies left over in the staff break room- I am in just the cranky mood to list them for you.

Behold, the 5 crappiest Christmas songs ever to curse the airwaves:
(These are real ear-bleeders, folks.)

5.  Same Old Lang Syne:  At Christmas time, I am a little more forgiving of juvenile melodies.  However, this song sounds like a second grader composed it.  Plus, the lyrics are just dumb.  And, there are no fun actions to do to go along with this song for babies.

4.  Merry Christmas (War is Over):  Any song where the lyrics include "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" (not the pretty opera "ah" as in "aha" or "almond," but "aaaahhh" as in "apple" or "Eeegads, when will this damn song be over?") merits a place on this list.  Christmas will not be merry until the song is over, so I'd like to suggest an alternate title:  Merry Christmas (Song is Over).

3.  Last Christmas:  No one can deny the romantic overtones of Wham! singing to their boyfriends, but please "save" us all "from tears" and stop it.

2.  My Grown Up Christmas List (Amy Grant, or any other sappy wacko who sings this "song"):  Let's be real.  Speak up if you would ever ask Santa for "no more lives torn apart" and that "wars would never start" over a flat screen or an iPhone.  (Crickets.)  Yeah, that's what I thought.  This is America, kids.  We thrive on war and consumerism.

1.  Christmas Shoes:  Not only is this the. worst. Christmas. song. ever., but it is also the worst. song. ever.  I said it.  To make myself seem even more despicable, what kind of a brat asks a stranger in the store to buy him something?  Honestly!  This kid is so entitled that instead of getting a job, he preys on last minute shoppers (which is also inexcusable) to buy him shit under the guise that he wants his mom to look nice when she "meets Jesus tonight."  Not only does this song promote bad manners, but it calls into question the omniscience of Jesus.  He sees everything, so he wouldn't be impressed by Christmas shoes.  Furthermore, if your mom is dying, how about buying her a pizza or a snuggie?  If I'm on my deathbed, the last thing I want is an uncomfortable pair of shoes.  So, in addition to being a mooch, the kid is a bad gift-giver.  Look, we're in the middle of a financial crisis and we're all making cutbacks.  If the damn shoes are soooooo important, perhaps he could buy just one shoe and "Mama" could stand on one foot when she meets Jesus.  That way, it looks like she has on a great pair of red shoes for half the price.  Come on.

And there you have it!  I hope that you never hear these songs again, but if you live on planet earth, I fear that you will.  Just remember to keep your earplugs handy.


Comments

  1. My day has been made! Hahaha! I hate Christmas Shoes - you just put into words everything I have ever felt about that song!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment if you wish. Or don't.

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an