Skip to main content

The Most Boring 'Coming Of Age' Tale There Ever Was


According to experienced bloggers, one of the best ways to get people to read your blog is to browse others and leave intelligent comments that show you are interested in what they have to say.  In an effort to win popularity, I do this shamelessly.  Alas, despite my best efforts, I have not built up much of a following, but I will not stop yet!  After all, I have only been blogging for about a month…. :)

In any case, this past Friday as I sat “working” at my desk I found myself perusing other blogs.  I came across one with a French title (it was highlighted on Blogger’s “Blogs of Note”) and was naturally intrigued.  I clicked the link, only to have a HUGE picture of Shia LaBoeuf pop up on my screen.  Apparently, he has quite a big fan out there!  Normally, this really wouldn’t bother me, but my boss just so happened to pick that very moment to emerge from his office, the prime location to see my computer screen.  (FML.)

How many of you out there have great situations in life that absolutely bore you?  Let me clarify:  I have a flexible job, excellent hours, fantastic co-workers, decent pay and I even see the value in what I do… but I am so disinterested in it.  Unfortunately, I have felt that way in some form or other at every job I have ever had.  In fact, I have had so many jobs that when I recently hit the one year mark at my current place of employment, I felt as though I should have been congratulated and offered a retirement package.  (By the way, I’m still waiting on that.)  I described it to Habibi like this:  One of the main reasons I don’t want to apply for another job some day is because I am so tired of writing down all past employment on applications.

On a related subject, Habibi and I are bracing ourselves to make a number of other big life decisions, all of which will affect each other.  In fact, each decision not only depends on the outcome of the one that precedes it, but also on the one that follows it.  Needless to say, I personally feel like I’m running in circles.  Yet this isn’t the part that bothers me.  The worst part about the whole thing is that there is nothing we can do about it right now except wait. 

Please don’t misunderstand me.  I am terribly excited for our life changes and look forward to starting a new chapter with great eagerness and anticipation.  On the other hand, I have never not known what the next step would be.  Even if I knew what I’d hoped it would be would never come to fruition, I still had goals.  Some of these ambitions were flat out unattainable, but they were mine and I worked toward them all the same.

When I was a junior in college, I took a card-making class with my mom while I was home on Christmas break.  She introduced me to a woman in her class who had been a French major herself, years before.  Eager to meet someone who shared my interests, I smiled cheerily, held out my hand and told her that I was studying French as well.  I will never forget what she said:  “I don’t really speak it anymore.  I haven’t practiced in so long that I forgot most of it.”

I remember thinking to myself I will never let that happen to me before merrily going my way.  Although this short conversation hasn’t come to mind in quite awhile, you know what French words come to mind now when I think back on my reaction?  Naïve, touché, cliché.

As I grow older (and somewhat more cynical), I am finding that I have a rather worthless degree; in hindsight, I wouldn’t change a thing. :)  I love speaking French, even if it is diminished to nothing more than a party trick.  (Suck on that, grouchy card-making lady!)  We all spend money on the things in which we find our own worth and value.  For me, that was a French degree.  Yet now, I do believe that I will have to find another -non-professional- outlet for it.  For the moment, I am finding satisfaction in achieving goals in running (mainly the way it makes my legs look) and writing. 

I mentioned in my very first post that my blogging is primarily for me, but I like to pretend that someone out there is actually listening to me.  For those of you who are, merci beaucoup. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Comment if you wish. Or don't.

Popular posts from this blog

France 2012 - Carnac

le 2 novembre At around 7 a.m. this morning, Habibi and I set sail (sorry, I'll stop using nautical terms now) for the small, coastal town of Carnac, located in Bretagne  (Brittany).  Upon arriving at the small, cozy  H ô tel An Ti Gwenn  ( Breton  for "white house"), we were warmly received and led to our calm little slice of heaven.  Remember, we had just left our tiny, disgusting fish bowl of a room, so the pleasant smells and fresh, clean bedding were welcome! Exterior view of the  Hôtel An Ti Gwenn View of the back garden from one of our windows Peeking through the main window into the side garden Our clean, fresh salle de bains Notre chambre We stopped for a quick lunch at a local s alon de thé  before heading to the tourism office at the center of town.  The main square was adorned with a lovely old church (typical of just about every French community, regardless of the size), several small tourist shops, bars and  crêperies. A

Mitt Romney: Problem Solver By A Fool's Standards

I know I bash politics a lot because, I'll just come right out and say it, I think they're silly.  My indifference to most things allows me the leisurely amusement of getting a rise out of people who are particularly hot on any given subject.  However, like most individuals who actually do give a shit, I also have a set of criteria on what I look for in a candidate and -republican or democrat- I will vote for whomever I feel best meets that criteria. But today, I find myself at a loss for words. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/02/15/146929766/why-romneys-shaggy-dog-story-wont-die While I haven't exactly been a Romney fan up until this point, I am somewhat sympathetic to those under constant scrutiny.  I suppose he has faced his fair share.  But we do make our own beds, do we not?  This is positively inexcusable.  I would sooner vote for a chimp in a scuba suit than this imbecile.  Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see all such despicable cr

The Joys of Fall and Eating Dinner

When I was just a little tike, I learned a song about Halloween.  The lyrics went something like this: Jack-O-Lantern, Jack-O-Lantern, You are such a pretty sight, As you sit there in the window, Looking out on the night! You were once a yellow pumpkin, Growing on a sturdy vine. Now you are a Jack-O-Lantern, See the candlelight shine! I know it isn't exactly Hemingway (thank goodness), but poor Habibi found me singing it to myself in the bathroom this morning as I was getting ready for the day.  (Oh, shut up.)  For your enjoyment (obviously) I've included the inspiration for my morning concert below: WE GOT TO CARVE OUR PUMPKIN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I love Halloween.  Every year around this time I start to get the jitters as though something terribly exciting and adventurous is about to happen.  I love the crunch of fall leaves, crispy mornings, eerie evenings and smoky nights.  Spooky stories, haunted houses, the smell of a campfire an